Three iterations of this project
1. Free Eco Wisdom; general thoughts
about environmentalism and about this project
2. Free Eco Web Services; ideas for
environmentalism in the IT sector and in mathematics
3. This page about passive (but radical)
White environmentalism: about ideas about what not to do
There is a hard conclusion of this project: it is not fair to work hard on
environmentalism as a poor while some unethical rich people enjoy life instead
of the poor environmentalists. That's why the poor should connect
environmentalism with financial gain, but if they cannot do it easily, maybe
it's a better idea for them to take care of environmentalism in a passive way
only, without spending any time on it. This could be called white
environmentalism. However, white environmentalism can also mean the observance
of very strict ethical principles about things we shall not do, for example,
not buying anything too harmful to the environment, or not voting for anyone or
any party too harmful, not harming the environment in vain, not overpopulating,
not spreading harmful technology, and much more specific ideas. These
principles can be related to deep philosophy about life. If the actual reader
is a newcomer to environmentalism, you can probably find some ideas
and here (links)
If we have suffered much in life, we can think about whether God is good? Maybe
God is good, but we lived in a wrong way. Perhaps we could even live more
wisely, which provides more joy. If we walked on the path towards joy all the
time, maybe we could reach it. It seems that there are two highly secure
sources of joy, so that we can be happy in at least part of our times by
concentrating on them:
- Think about what we like to think about, and do what we like to do
- Gather power and control our lives
The sources of our joy and thinking on environmental problems do not always
correspond. It is a question whether we can practice our actual sources of joy
and environmentalism and gather power at the same time? White environmentalism,
as described here, can be an answer to this question. And if we demand our
ethical values to be great, then we should practice white environmentalism in a
radical way, and this hopefully opens up the way towards the improvement of our
economic situation, so that we can take care of environmentalism in an active
way later. This means that we should give up many kinds of luxury in order to
make it more probable that other kinds of joy happen in our lives.
Faith: the third way
For some people, there may be a third way that makes them happy, faith in God
and/or in a spiritual reward for working on a noble cause. However, the joy
coming from this is not direct, but depends on the strength of the faith and/or
beliefs, which may weaken in case of long suffering. Here are some parts of
faith which might strenghten environmentalism:
- God, the Creator and Ruler of the Universe probably exists.
- God probably loves life.
- God probably wants us to love life.
Faith may give us enough motivation to do something which will be both
profitable and eco-friendly in the future. However, it will not necessarily be
part of this project.
List of more specific ideas in passive environmentalism
- Those who are poorer than the average should not beget more than two children.
- Those who want to reduce carbon emissions should probably not eat meat on Mondays or Saturdays, for example (or eat less meat).
- Environmentalists should not waste electricity and gas, so keep away from TV and gas stoves, for example (instead, cook or fry by mirrored solar power).
- Environmentalists should not publish technological research too harmful to the environment.
- Environmentalists should not vote for parties too harmful to the environment.
- Environmentalists should not buy products or services too harmful to the environment.
- Environmentalists should not borrow money if it is not really needed.
- Deodorant sprays and similar materials are only worth using when needed, it is not worth smoking, etc.
- There is an idea to put our waste in the packaging material of what we have bought.
More ideas for passive environmentalism might come here later, if we can come up with good ones. Other ideas (which are not entirely passive) go to the mailing lists instead, or shared at other places on the Internet.